Thursday, April 19, 2012

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month


     In the Month of April we are spreading the word of Child Abuse Prevention.  This is a personal and hard subject for me to deal with, not because I was abused but I can't understand how a parent would or could do this to their own child.  In this post I will share with some statistics, common types of abuse, and prevention methods for these children.

Here are 4 types of common child abuse
  • Physical abuse occurs when a caregiver (parent, babysitter, coach, teacher, etc) hits a child.  Some people will tell you that spanking your child is a type of physical abuse but I disagree.  My parents spanked me out of love and I too have spanked my own children but again out of love!  I have never hit one of my children with a closed fist nor have I ever caused any bruising.  You can spank your child in a manner that the child knows why you are doing it, and without any physical harm to the child.
  • Sexual abuse is just that!  When someone of any age is sexually abused they are being deceived into having sex generally with someone they know and love dearly.  They are told that it is a secret between the child and the abuser, and that they should not tell anyone because they wouldn't understand.
  • emotional abuse occurs from a parent or anyone for that matter that is in the position of caring for a child, yells and screams at them and tells them they are worthless, no good, and will never be anything.  In some ways I myself have been guilty of the emotional abuse in the past but I strive everyday to give my children positive notes, love and hugs rather than the negative.  No one young or old want to constantly hear bad things about themselves or anyone else for that matter.
  • neglect is when you have $50.00 in your pocket and you go buy beer, a lottery tickets knowing you have no food in your house and the kids are hungry.  If you ask a lot of kids today they will tell you that they are neglected because they can't have chocolate, or sodas all the time. My children don't know what it is like to be hungry and not be able to get some food.  They don't wear name brand jeans but they have nice and clean clothes to wear everyday.  We have a cool house in the summer months and a warm home in the winter months. 




   
     Here is a poem I would like to share with all of my readers, I have read this numerous of times and it tears me apart every time I read it:

My name is Sarah
I am but three,
my eyes are swollen
I cannot see.
image001

I must be stupid,
I must be bad,
what else could have made
my daddy
so mad?

I wish I were better,
I wish I weren't ugly,

then maybe my Mommy
would still want to hug me.

I can't speak at all,
I can't do a wrong
or else I'm locked up
all the day long.


When I awake I'm all alone
the house is dark
my folks aren't home.

When my Mommy does come
I'll try and be nice,

so maybe I'll get just
one whipping tonight.

Don't make a sound!
I just heard a car
my daddy is back
from Charlie's Bar.


I hear him curse
my name he calls
I press myself
against the wall.
image002

I try and hide
from his evil eyes
I'm so afraid now
I'm starting to cry.


He finds me weeping
he shouts ugly words,
he says its my fault

that he suffers at work.

He slaps me and hits me
and yells at me more,
I finally get free
and I run for the door.


He's already locked it
and I start to bawl,
he takes me and throws me
against the hard wall.
image003

I fall to the floor
with my bones nearly broken,
and my daddy continues
with more bad words spoken.


'I'm sorry!' I scream
but its now much too late
his face has been twisted
into unimaginable hate.


The hurt and the pain
again and again
oh please God, have mercy!
oh please let it end!


And he finally stops
and heads for the door,
while I lay there motionless
sprawled on the floor.
image004

My name is Sarah
and I am but three,
tonight my daddy
murdered me.


There are millions of children in the world - just like Sarah. And you can help!

It sickens me to read this and view these images. It's a violation of everything that we as human beings stand for. This will disturb even the toughest of the tough! And because you are affected, you can do something about it!! This is real, it happens, it is happening everywhere in the world today. People like Sarah's father do live in our society. If every concerned person makes an effort to contribute either by time, resources or donations, we can make a difference in the lives of those little people who cannot speak for themselves. You can help to change a child's life!












































image005 




Listed below are things you can do to help prevent child abuse (from Darkness to Light website - http://www.d2l.org/site/):
  1. Learn the facts about child abuse and understand the risks.
    1. Read a book, attend a class, or look online to see how many children are affected by the different types of child maltreatment.
    2. Abusers are often people the family trusts; they look and act just like everyone else.
  2. Minimize the opportunities for abuse to occur.
    1. Avoid situations where a child is alone with an adult – and avoid one-adult/one-child situations with children other than your own.
    2. Monitor the Internet use of children so that they aren’t lured into inappropriate activities.
  3. Talk about abuse
    1. Talk openly to your child and understand why children may be scared to tell someone about abuse.
    2. Talk to other adults about child abuse. This helps raise the consciousness of your community and influences their choices about child safety, while also putting potential abusers on notice that you are paying attention.
  4. Stay alert to the signs of abuse.
    1. Read a book, attend a class, or look online to determine the signs (physical and emotional/behavioral) of the different types of child maltreatment, while also understanding that some children may not display any signs
  5. Know what to do if you suspect the abuse or neglect of a child.
    1. Your reaction to suspected child maltreatment can determine how the child responds so it’s important not to overreact.
    2. Provide support to the child.
    3. Report suspected child maltreatment to appropriate authorities, either by calling the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1.800.4.A.CHILD or by calling local child protective services or law enforcement agencies in your community.
  6. Act on suspicions.
    1. Even if you don’t have proof but you suspect abuse has occurred/is occurring, you should report it. If you want to talk to staff about whether or not to report, you can call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1.800.4.A.CHILD.
  7. Get involved in your communities.
    1. Meet and greet your neighbors and organize/participate in activities in your neighborhood
    2. Go to a parents’ meeting or volunteer at your child’s school or run for an office in the parent organization at your child’s school
    3. Participate in an activity at your local library or community center
    4. Attend local government meetings (city council or school board meetings) and let them know how important resources are in your community. Let them know how parks, strong schools, and accessible services help to strengthen your family and other families
    5. Support legislation that protects children.
    6. Call and write your members of Congress.
    7. Write letters to your newspaper.




17 comments:

  1. this is so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. STOP CHILD ABUSE !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to cry when I read and veiwed these images,I agree to stop child abuse,I hope that some day these sick people in this world would just notice what they have done and stop and be a nice parent that doesn't hurt their child. And I believe one day child abuse will be prevented~

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this poem I was so sad and I didn't like it very much. I want parents to realize that they are abusing their children and I wish I could make them stop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe this is true. Abusing one who cannot defend themself is completely stupid. Same with animals, too. Harming or even KILLING an animal or child because you had a bad day at work is completely hopeless. You only get a dead loved one and a LONG jail sentance.

    I know how it feels. I remember my father beating me and my siblings, telling my half-sisters they were worthless and they should kill themselves, because no one would care.
    And to this day, my mother stays with him, and he doesn't admit he beats us. He was even reported to the police, but they did nothing. I am now non-social, depressed, silent, and am used to phisical and emotional pain. He also beat our pets, and to this day kicks them, even my pregnant cat, who will give birth soon.
    And today, he acts innocent. But I know the truth.
    So, please people! Get help if you are the victim, or even the abuser! Because anyone in their right state of mind will help stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude.....how old are you? Are you and your siblings still living with that ass? You can make a difference in peoples lives we all can change the world with our problems.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry to hear of any story such as these! I posted this because I was NOT abused as a child but went thru the Domestic Violence with my first husband. There are so many forms of abuse and we need to speak out =, not be quiet about it!

      Delete
  6. people who abuse chidren should die im 16 and i cryed this must be stoped

    ReplyDelete
  7. These poor children were not only abused but killed by there parents hands it breaks my heart and I feel there pain

    ReplyDelete
  8. is it that hard to keep your hands off a child? really???? this broke my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i will kill the people that hurt babies and toddlers thats all and anonymous STOP SENDIN LOTS OF COMMENTS DIVVY

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to reconstruct that old ass constitution! Criminals have more rights and protection than children and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i know how it is to be abused iam 18 now but when i was living at home
    my mom who adopted me when i was 5 would call me evil names and told me if she could get away with it she would kill me she would also make me go hungrgry for severl days and shehad plenty of moneyanother thing she would do was strap me up so i couldnt move and throw me around in a bathroom wih no clothes on she would also make me work with no food in extremly cold or hot weather
    she would also hit me with anyn thing she could find including bats brooms saddle strapsand many more things these are just a few of the things m,y mom would do to me so please if you know someone who has been abused help them becuse silence doesent solve any thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiersten, sorry to hear that you suffered at the hands of an adult. My nephew was killed at the ago of 7 months old. He could not defend himself and we are not sure exactly what happened. I survive everyday knowing that these people WILL face JUDGEMENT day and they will have to explain there self. I pray daily for those going through this, and hope you are getting the much needed therapy that you need to live a normal life. God is good and he is there even when we feel alone!

      Delete
  12. on april 22 2013 there will be the 1st EVER NATIONWIDE rally against child abuse. Million March Against Child Abuse see us on facebook, we are in 48 states .we are seeking stricter sentencing for violent crimes against children and life sentences if they are murdered.
    http://www.facebook.com/MMACAmarches

    ReplyDelete
  13. on april 22 2013 there will be the 1st EVER NATIONWIDE rally against child abuse. Million March Against Child Abuse see us on facebook, we are in 48 states .we are seeking stricter sentencing for violent crimes against children and life sentences if they are murdered.
    http://www.facebook.com/MMACAmarches

    ReplyDelete